Wednesday 2 November 2011

Tomato toastie de Catalonia...like a pro.

Today I took the plunge after flicking through my new ,’Tapas De ayer y hoy’ recipe book, a very kind gift, and decided I would become a cooking extraordinaire. So I began with what I thought would be simple, ‘ Pan con tomate’. As at that moment in time I luckily had the last of a loaf of bread, half a tomato and a lot of garlic waiting to be used, this was the perfect dish. Pan con tomate is a popular dish in Catalonia and despite its boring translation of bread with tomato my previous experiences of this dish had been delicious. The first thing I did was crush a clove of garlic and mixed it into a tablespoon of olive oil. I then added the garlic flavoured oil to a hot pan and after a while added the bread. It sizzled which is normally a good sign, so I left it for a while and then it really sizzled and began to burn. I quickly turned off the heat and saved what I could of my project. I managed to salvage half a piece of bread, which was made up of random bits of to work with. Finally I cut a quarter of a tomato and smothered it all over the bread.  Despite a few burnt bits of garlic it was scrumptious! A semi success of my first Spanish dish unsupervised. It is one I would recommend as a starter or to accompany any fish, meat or veggie dish. Oh what a chef I have become!
Before




After

2 comments:

  1. Awwww well done me Julie!

    Good thinking about the small steps into cooking....keep that in mind next time u decide to make aloo omlette! Only kidding keep it up my love!

    I'm thinking this tastes like bruchetta? You can make it for the next cousin party at Xmas!

    Haz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haz! It is a little bit like a Bruschetta but lighter and eaten as the Catalan version of our toast with butter/margarine! I will make it for you when I see you next! Love you xx

    ReplyDelete